Friday 13 September 2013

My new hat.

This is my new hat.

It's very smart but makes me look like Stan Laurel so I don't wear it outside.

Obviously.

A bowler hat is a very English thing and that is why I bought it.

In my classroom this year, the wearer of this hat is allowed to speak English.

Nobody else.

No hat, no English.

My year 7 students like it.

The idea for it was subconsciously stolen from two people:

Firstly, Alex Bellar's Union Flag Shield and the fact that only when Alex stands on the shield is he allowed to speak English to his classes. (see #MFLSAT post)

Secondly, as a child, I saw the comedian Eric Sykes on stage doing a routine with a "magic hat" which when placed upon his head makes him unable to speak.

So far, the only person who has been allowed to wear this hat is me.

That may change.

I doubt it, though.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great idea - I have a selection of Union Flag bowler hats left over from the Jubilee so perfect for this!