Friday 1 March 2013

Newsmap - a fantastic resource.

I was made aware of Newsmap during my #ililc3 workshop on how to motivate students at AS and A2.

Sadly, I can't remember who it was who put me on to it, so I'm unable to give them the credit. If it was you, let me know.

Newsmap describes itself as "an application that visually reflects the constantly changing landscape of the Google News aggregator".

It brings together the main news stories from Argentina, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, The United Kingdom, and the USA.

It is ideal for anyone teaching foreign languages to a higher level as it is an invaluable source of current news in different languages.

It is constantly updated and provides links to international, national and regional news stories.

You can see how the page is set out from this screenshot:


All you need to do is click on the headline of your choice and the link will be opened in a new tab.

Because you are now saying to yourself "I wish I'd known about this 3 weeks ago" I'll tell you that there is also a search facility enables the user to find stories in any of the languages, too.

I thoroughly recommend it.
    

PS I've just been reminded that it was Annalise Adam who recommended it to me

No comments: