Saturday 7 July 2012

Making comics with my year 12 and Toondoo.

At my school year 12 students start their A2 French course in June.

I try to make it nice for them and so we study a nice film (this year it's "le diner de cons") and we start to look at French literature.

As we are studying Maupassant's short stories I thought it would be a nice idea to read a couple of really short stories, un duel and deux amis. These 2 stories are incredibly short and we read each of them in one lesson.

Rather than write a summary of the stories I asked them to create a Mr Men style mini-book with a nice picture and a sentence in French on each page. (Clare Seccombe is the Queen of mini-books. Read her blog.)

They actually thought I had gone mad.

Some of them are quite serious and studious (they think I'm an idiot at the best of times!) and were quite shocked that I asked them to do this.

One of them said, "This is an A level course. What is the educational value in this?"

My reply of course was, "There is educational value in everything we do. Just because something seems like fun, it doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing it."


So, off they went and created their mini-books on an expertly folded piece of A3 paper.

I then decided that it would be lots of fun to use toondoo to make comics.

By this time they had already gone, so I did it myself. Next time I'll get them to do it, too

Here is my version of Guy de Maupassant's Deux Amis.

Enjoy.
Deux amis 1
Deux amis 2

5 comments:

Clare Seccombe said...

Thanks very much for the mention, Dom. Deux amis is my favourite Maupassant story.

Dom said...

You're welcome, Clare. If Deux Amis is your favourite Maupassant story, you probably aren't impressed by my summary.

Alex Bellars said...

I like Boule de Suif. And Dom's Toondoo. 😉

Dom said...

Thanks, Alex :-)

Flying Fantastic said...

😄fab