Friday 9 March 2012

French new wave cinema and Benny Hill.

My A level French students are studying the work of François Truffaut, mainly the 1962 film, Jules et Jim, and the techniques used, so today I showed them a clip from the Benny Hill Show.

I know what you're thinking, but bear with me.

I don't mean the late 1970s early 1980s Benny Hill Show where our hero is chased around the streets of Teddington by scantily clad nurses, police women, nuns, and the occasional, fully clothed, old lady.

Or vicar.

Oh no.

I mean the late 1960s early 1970s Benny Hill Show which contained some very clever parodies and pastiche sketches, the likes of which we don't tend to see these days.

Unless you're me and have the DVD.

And you're not.

And don't.

Fortunately.

So, here it is, Benny Hill as French New Wave director, Pierre de Terre, discussing his new avant garde film with Henry McGee in a brilliant parody of everything Truffaut.

(The sketch starts at 15m48)

Enjoy.

No comments: